INFOTECH · Artal Smart Agriculture technical and scientific reports
Technical report FOSFITAL Extra
FOSFITAL EXTRA is a biostimulant based on Potassium Phosphite with a dual function on crops: on one side, it acts as a source of phosphorus and potassium, and on the other, it acts as a stimulant of selfdefense mechanisms of plants against fungal pathogens and, also, acts directly on its metabolism to combat it, due to the presence of phosphorous as PHOSPHITE ion.
FOSFITAL EXTRA has the EU REACH registry, which regulates the registration, evaluation, authorization and restriction of chemical substances and preparations,with the aim of guaranteeing a high level of protection of human health and the environment.
FOSFITAL EXTRA has the EU REACH registryFOSFITAL EXTRA is formulated in special stainless steel reactors, equipped with a double jacket and connected to a closed cooling system by means of “chillers”, through which water flows at a suitable temperature to temper the exothermic reaction that occurs during its manufacture, conferring a greater stability to the formula.
During its manufacturing process, proper handling of temperature, pH, speed and stirring times, as well as the order of addition of raw materials are essential to ensure a high quality final product and high efficiency in the field.
What phosphites are?
Phosphorus (P) is one of the essential elements required by all living organisms. It is very reactive and rapidly combining with other elements such as oxygen (O) and hydrogen (H). When it is not fully oxidized, H occupies the place of one O atom and the resulting molecule is called phosphite (or phosphonate), chemically represented as PO3-3.
The phosphite ion can present ionic bonds (sharing electrons) with the hydrogen ions (H+) forming the phosphorous acid (H3PO3) or forming salts through the union with other cations (K, Ca, Mg, etc.).
Characteristics of phosphites
- Phosphite ion is very active in plant particularly because it is unstable and tends to react with everything.
- It is highly water soluble and can be quickly absorbed through plant’s leaves and roots.
- Phosphite has double circulation (systemic) as it moves through the xylem and phloem. Thus, its application can be to any organ of the plant (leaves, stem or root), facilitating the distribution of the nutrient elements to which it is chemically bound.
Its transport by phloem allows it to reach the roots for the control of diseases caused by fungi of the soil in addition to those of foliage.
The use of Potassium Phosphate in agriculture is an important tool due to the remarkable features of phosphite ion, being able to produce a rapid stimulation of important metabolic processes in plants, causing the following effects:
- Double fungal activity
- Vehicle of the important nutrient element: Potassium (K)
- Metabolic activator in post-stress states
Double fungal activity (1 and 2)
1) The Oomycetes (Phytophthora, Pythium, Peronospora, Plasmopara, et.) cause two types of diseases:
- The gummosis of crops
- The watering of fruits
The gummosis of crops
The pathogen’s propagules present in soil can directly infect roots and the base of crops.
Symptoms of these diseases are only visible after several months from infection, showing lack of vigour and generalized decay. First symptoms in trunk and main branches are not visible externally, as they consist in a darkening of phloem and cambium. As infection progresses, affected areas begin to crack and emit gummy exudations. In addition, it will make fruits and leaves smaller, and leaves to turn yellow.
The watering of fruits
The splashes caused by rain disseminate the pathogen’s propagules from ground to fruits.
Symptoms of watering can appear after 3-7 days from infection. They are characterized by soft brown rot, which progresses until affecting the whole fruit, that will finally fall to the ground. When the fruits are harvested with still recent infection, it usually develops later in the store.
2) The double fungicidal effect of the ion phosphite is because it has:
- Direct action on fungal metabolism (fungistatic effect)
- Indirect action on pathogens (activator of plant defenses)
Direct action on fungal metabolism (fungistatic effect)
Direct action on fungal metabolism (fungistatic effect)Phosphite ion competes with phosphorus in different metabolic pathways catalyzed by fosforilatives enzymes, for example, in the phosphorylation of AMP and ADP to ATP.
In this way, the processes involved in energy transfer of the fungus suffer a considerable delay and may even be blocked. The effect on fungus could be compared to a state of total absence of available phosphorus in plant to meet the needs of the fungus. The phosphite ion can suspends fungal growth and development, or the germination of their spores (fungistatic action).
Indirect action on pathogens (activator of plant defenses)
- The pathogen is affected by the phosphite ion
- Suppressors decrease or do not occur
- The cell recognizes the condition
- Phosphite acts on the pathogen, leading to the production of external elicitors that stimulate the defense response of plants
- defensive organs send alarm signals em> to cells that have not yet been attacked
- Structural wall proteins are coded to create structures that reinforce cell walls
- Enzymes are encoded that degrade the wall of the fungus
Vehicle of nutrient element: Potassium (K)
So that the plant can assimilate phosphorus, it is necessary that the phosphite can be converted into phosphate. The average time for oxidation of phosphite to phosphate is 3 to 4 months thanks to the microorganisms present in soil and/or in leaves.
Due to this and because the effects explained above are produced by the phosphite ion, the element that accompanies it acts as a nutritional, in this case, potassium (K).
Potassium is a primary macronutrient that plays an important role as plant functions regulator.
This element affects the plant shape, size, color and taste and other measures attributed to the product quality, for several reasons:
- Key nutrient in plant-water relationship
- Resistance to stress conditions
- Involved on cellular elongation
- Enzyme activation involved on:
- Transport of photosynthate
- Protein synthesis
Metabolic activator in post-stress states
Because the phosphite ion acts on both pathways (phloem and xylem), it enriches the descending sage providing extra energy to overcome stress situations. For example, the leaves close the stomata in situations of stress. When they receive potassium by xylem it causes its opening, resuming the vegetative activity.
Density: 1,4 ± 0,02 * gr/cc
pH (20ºC): 4 ± 0,5 *
|Phosphorus (P2O5)||30.00% p/p = 42.00% p/v|
|Potassium (K2O)||20.20% p/p = 28.0% p/v|
* Obtained from Potassium Phosphite
Use and dose
|CROP||DOSAGE||NUMBER OF APPLICATIONS / FREQUENCY|
|Root application||Foliar application|
|Horticultural leaf||4-5 L/Ha||200-250 cc /100L||4-6 applications, since transplant and every 21-30 days|
|Horticultural fruit||4-5 L/Ha||300-350 cc /100L||4-6 applications, since transplant and every 21-30 days|
|Citrus and subtropical crops||4-5 L/Ha||300-400 cc /100L||2-3 applications, sprouting, pre-blooming and fattening|
|Fruit trees, olive trees and vines||4-5 L/Ha||250-400 cc /100L||2-3 applications, sprouting, pre-blooming and fattening|
|4-5 L/Ha||200-300 cc /100L||3-4 applications, since transplant and every 15-21 days|
NOTE: EIt is compatible with most of the available fertilizers and phytosanitary products, even though it is advisable to perform a previous test. Do not mix with mineral oils, sulphur or products containing copper. In the latter case, after the application of a copper compound, wait at least 15 days before application.
Conclusions. Benefits of FOSFITAL Extra
- Promotes the natural defenses of plants and has fungistatic action
- Strengthens the stem and roots, increasing its resistance to pathogens
- Prevents watering and gummosis diseases in crops
- Activates the metabolism in a post-stress state
- Improves the filling, turgor, homogenization and maturation of fruits
- Increases the quality of fruits
For a safe, sustainable and highly productive agriculture
ARTAL, YOUR PARTNER
Artal products cover every need:
Yield and PRODUCTIVITY
Artal offers more than just a range of products , it offers a SERVICE making the farmers feel the physiological needs of their crops are CARED.
We are proud to continue with the work that our FAMILY started back in 1895
A company becomes centennial for having known how to read the times lived by each generation. That’s because we have accomplished the EXPECTATIONS that our clients deposited over us, becoming the preferred partner of many farmers.
Many years and many PERSONAL STORIES shape Artal.
Artal RESEARCH, DEVELOPMENT and INNOVATION department develops absolutely exclusive products in joint collaboration with UNIVERSITIES, RESEARCH CENTERS and PRODUCERS: for a safe, sustainable and highly productive agriculture.
We are present in SPAIN and in 30 countries between EUROPE, AFRICA, ASIA and AMERICA